Join a team of passionate advocates and experts who are committed to protecting Wisconsin’s vital natural resources and building a clean, sustainable, and equitable future for everyone in our state. Clean Wisconsin is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit seeking a Strategic Communications Specialist who will help build and coordinate an integrated communications strategy that amplifies Clean Wisconsin’s work on key environmental issues.
As Clean Wisconsin’s Strategic Communications Specialist, you will work closely with our Communications Director to ensure timely, clear and consistent messaging reaches a variety of diverse, statewide audiences. You will also measure the success of our communications by tracking earned media mentions, website and social media analytics, and email marketing metrics.
Clean Wisconsin leverages a range of communications platforms and tools to meet people where they are, putting our key messages and initiatives in front of hundreds of thousands of Wisconsinites. Our earned media, op-eds, social media, videos, podcast and newsletters all play important roles in our overall communications strategy. Our Strategic Communications Specialist will help ensure all of these platforms work together to tell the story of Clean Wisconsin and the environmental issues impacting communities across our state.
This position requires a creative, strategic communicator who can help move our campaigns forward within a fast-paced communications environment. The position will be based in our Madison, Wisconsin office.
- Help oversee publication of quarterly Defender
- Create and manage social media calendar.
- Track key performance indicators that measure the success of our communications.
- Write content for blog posts, social media, email and print newsletters, marketing materials and web pages
- Help deliver communications plans and products to support key projects
- Coordinate with our legal, science and program departments to ensure campaign web pages are continually updated with timely, relevant information.
- Help build an engaging online presence that uplifts the work of Clean Wisconsin and our partners.
- Build positive relationships with Clean Wisconsin staff and partner organizations
- Maintain a commitment to accuracy in all work.
- Assist with digital advertising and marketing campaigns
- Help develop talking points, edit op-eds, blogs and articles.
- Assist with event planning and fundraising campaigns
- Help supervise department intern(s) when applicable
Required skills and experience
- Excellent writer, editor and project manager.
- Experience developing content for multiple channels.
- Able to translate complex topics into easy-to-understand, compelling posts and articles that reach and move a variety of audiences
- Able to take feedback and edit work products in an efficient and timely manner.
- Knowledge of social media and website analytics tools.
- Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, and Canva
- Strong organizational skills
- Knowledge of AP Style guidelines
- Able to manage multiple projects, prioritize work assignments and meet deadlines.
- Able to tailor communication to a given audience and platform.
- Commitment to helping create a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communication, public relations, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent education or work experience.
- One (1) year professional experience in communication or related field preferred.
For the position is $38,000 – $50,000 commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits package includes health and dental insurance, a 403(b) retirement plan with a 6% employer match, and paid vacation and holidays.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 22, 2022. Be sure to include “Strategic Communications Specialist” as the subject line of your email.
Clean Wisconsin is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion in our work and in our hiring practices. We value a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Please also see our statement on diversity, equity and inclusion.